Naniboujou Lodge Lake Superior

 
 
 

Naniboujou Lodge Lake Superior

Naniboujou Lodge Lake Superior

Naniboujou Lodge Lake Superior

About 14 miles north of Grand Marais on Highway 61 is the Naniboujou Lodge Lake Superior.  In July 1929, the Naniboujou Lodge Lake Superior opened as an exclusive, members-only club.  Minnesotans could hold only 25% of the  1,000 memberships.  The focus of the club was hunting in the undeveloped forest that surrounded the lodge on 3,330 acres.  Intended to be worldly and prestigious, the club catered to the likes of baseball great Babe Ruth and boxer Jack Dempsey.  Unfortunately, the opening of the lodge coincided too closely with the stock market crash that occurred in October 1929.  Membership steadily declined, and the Naniboujou ownership had trouble paying bills.  With foreclosure looming, the Arthur Roberts hotel chain bought the lodge in 1935, and opened the club to the public.  After ownership changed a few more times, the lodge is now owned and operated by the Ramey family.

Much of the lodge’s original fixtures and décor have been preserved.  Fourteen original French doors open out onto views of Lake Superior.  The vivid colors of Cree Indian art decorate the ceilings and walls of the dining room.  The spectacular fireplace is one of the largest in Minnesota.  Standing 20 feet high, it is made from 200 tons of native rocks.

The Naniboujou Lodge Lake Superior is open from mid-May to mid-October, and guests can enjoy fine dining, hikes to Devils Kettle in Judge Macgney State Park right across Highway 61, or just relaxing.

The Naniboujou Lodge is part of Minnesota’s North Shore Audio Tour.

Minnesota Tourism

.

Leave A Comment